Request for Concept Notes
Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) Desk Review and Market Study (DRMS) and Political Economy Analysis (PEA) for Resilience Food Security Activities (RFSA) in Somalia.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) and LASER PULSE (Long-term Assistance and Services for Research, Partners for University-Led Solutions Engine), hereafter referred to as LASER PULSE, seek Concept Notes (CNs) from multidisciplinary teams of researchers and development professionals (preferable) or individual experts, to undertake a resilience, food, and nutrition security (1) Desk Review and Market Study (DRMS) and (2) a Political Economy Analysis (PEA) to inform the design strategies and approaches of a future multi-year Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA) in Somalia. BHA RFSAs focus on rural populations that are chronically vulnerable to nutrition and food insecurity. The goal of these activities (two studies) is to improve and sustain the food and nutrition security of vulnerable populations. Any potential RFSA solicitation in Somalia will be aligned with the USAID/Somalia 2020-2025 Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS), which aims to see “Somalia and its people more effectively withstand disruptions and increasingly drive their own development.” These research studies are intended to provide BHA design teams and potential implementing partners with a deep contextual knowledge of Somalia (specific provinces, to be determined); which will inform decisions related to USAID and BHA policy and legislative requirements.
Please see the materials including entire Request for CNs below.
Call for Concept Notes for USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) Desk Review and Market Study (DRMS) and Political Economy Analysis (PEA) for Resilience Food Security Activities (RFSA) in Somalia.
To undertake Desk Review and Market Study (DRMS) and a Political Economy Analysis (PEA) to inform the design strategies and approaches of future multi-year Resilience Food Security Activities.
Multidisciplinary teams of researchers and development professionals (preferable) or individual experts.
Call for concept note release: May 15, 2023.
Application deadline: 5:00 pm EDT, June 2, 2023.
Timeline & Information
- Release of Call for Concept Notes: May 15, 2023
- Questions and clarifications by: May 22, 2023.
- Estimated funding per study (Dependent on Work Assignment):
- DRMS: $350,000
- PEA: $200,000
Successful Application Characteristics
- Capacity: i.e., capacity to co-design and implement the proposed work, lead and coordinate different research workstreams, and ability to develop deliverables that are well synced across the different research studies. Qualifications, skills, experience, and availability of all individuals applying will all be considered.
- Experience In-Country: based on demonstrated work conducted in the RFSA countries, an understanding of country context, and connections to in-country organizations/ stakeholders for primary data collection purposes.
- Research Study Expertise, based on demonstrated past experiences in designing and implementing different research studies (Desk Review and Market Study, and Political Economy Analysis).