Request for Concept Notes
Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) Desk Review and Market Study, Political Economy Analysis & Secondary Data Analysis for Resilience Food Security Activities (RFSA) in Madagascar
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) and LASER PULSE (Long-term Assistance and SErvices for Research, Partners for University-Led Solutions Engine), hereafter referred to as LASER PULSE, seek Concept Notes (CNs) from multidisciplinary teams of researchers and development professionals (preferable) or individual experts, to undertake a resilience, food, and nutrition security (1) Desk Review and Market Study (DRMS); (2) a Political Economy Analysis (PEA) and (3) a secondary data analysis (SDA) to inform the design strategies and approaches of a future multi-year Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA) in Madagascar. BHA RFSAs focus on rural populations that are chronically vulnerable to nutrition and food insecurity. The goal of these activities (three studies) is to improve and sustain the food and nutrition security of vulnerable populations. Any potential RFSA solicitation in Madagascar will be aligned with the USAID/Madagascar 2020-2025 Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS), which focuses on “improved well-being and resilience of the Malagasy people”. These research studies are intended to provide BHA design teams and potential implementing partners with a deep contextual knowledge of Madagascar (specific provinces, to be determined); which will inform decisions related to USAID and BHA policy and legislative requirements.
Please see the materials including entire Request for CNs below.
- Madagascar Call for Concept Notes for BHA Studies (May 2023)
- Madagascar Desk Review and Market Study Proposed Program Description
- Madagascar Political Economy Analysis Proposed Program Description
- Madagascar Secondary Data Analysis Proposed Program Description
- Concept Note Template
- Individual NDA
- Institutional Recusal Form
- Frequently Asked Questions
Call for Concept Notes for USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) Desk Review and Market Study (DRMS), Political Economy Analysis (PEA) and Secondary Data Analysis (SDA) for Resilience Food Security Activities (RFSA) in Madagascar.
To undertake Desk Review and Market Study (DRMS); a Political Economy Analysis (PEA) and a Secondary Data Analysis (SDA) to inform the design strategies and approaches of future multi-year Resilience Food Security Activities.
Multidisciplinary teams of researchers and development professionals (preferable) or individual experts.
Call for concept note release: May 4, 2023.
Application deadline: 9:00 am EDT, May 26, 2023.
Timeline & Information
- Release of Call for Concept Notes: May 4, 2023
- Questions and clarifications by: May 12, 2023.
- Application deadline: May 26, 2023.
- Announcement of finalist teams: May 31, 2023.
- Estimated funding per study (Dependent on Work Assignment):
- DRMS: $350,000
- PEA: $200,000
- SDA: $100,000
Successful Application Characteristics
- Capacity: i.e., capacity to co-design and implement the proposed work, lead and coordinate different research workstreams, and ability to develop deliverables that are well synced across the different research studies. Qualifications, skills, experience, and availability of all individuals applying will all be considered.
- Experience In-Country: based on demonstrated work conducted in the RFSA countries, an understanding of country context, and connections to in-country organizations/ stakeholders for primary data collection purposes.
- Research Study Expertise, based on demonstrated past experiences in designing and implementing the different research studies (Desk Review and Market Study, Political Economy Analysis, and Secondary Data Analysis).